Application Deadlines for Undergraduate Admission
The deadline for receipt of your application materials depends on the audition/interview dates available for your program. All materials, including the Common Application or Coalition Application, Artistic Profile (with prescreening and portfolio materials if required), transcripts, and test scores must be submitted in order for the review process to go forward.
October 15: Deadline for Winter term admission (see below), Dance applicants who want to audition on November 22, and Theatre Design & Production applicants who want to interview on December 6
December 1: Deadline for all January & February auditions/interviews and recorded auditions (for programs that allow it)
Additional Deadline Information
- The December 1 deadline applies to all undergraduate applicants, including external and cross-campus transfer applicants. SMTD does not participate in Early Action.
- Applicants who choose to submit a recorded audition must submit their Common Application, Coalition Application, or Cross-Campus Transfer application by December 1 in addition to the Artistic Profile.
- All deadlines are for 11:59pm on the day listed for your local time. For example, applicants living in Chicago must submit no later than 11:59pm Central Time on December 1.
Winter Term Admission Policies & Procedures
Although SMTD typically accepts applications only for the Fall term, there are occasionally limited openings available in the Winter term. The list of programs accepting Winter applications is finalized in September each year. Applications are due October 15, and auditions/interviews typically take place in November or early December.
The following programs are accepting Winter 2020 applications:
- BFA in Jazz & Contemplative Studies (Guitar)
- BFA in Jazz Studies (Guitar)
- BM/BMA in Double Bass Performance
- BM/BMA in Harp Performance
- BM in Instrumental Music Education (Double Bass, Harp, Tuba, Viola, Violin)
- BM/BMA in Tuba Performance
- BM/BMA in Viola Performance
- BM/BMA in Violin Performance
The following programs do not accept Winter applications in any year:
- BFA in Musical Theatre
- BFA in Performing Arts Technology
- BFA in Theatre Performance (Acting & Directing)
- BM in Music & Technology
- BS in Sound Engineering