Admissions FAQ

Frequently asked questions and answers. If you do not see the answer to your question here, it may be because the answer is in another section of the admissions page. You may always email [email protected] for an answer to your query.

Application Questions

If I am accepted to SMTD, do I have to wait for a separate acceptance to the University of Michigan?
No, admission to SMTD comes with admission to the University of Michigan.

Do you accept paper applications?
No, both undergraduate and graduate students must apply online.

What is the UMID? How do I get one?
A University of Michigan ID number is assigned to you when you register as a prospective student or when you apply to the University. You don’t need a UMID to complete the application, but if you already have one, by all means use it.

I’ve already submitted my application. How can I change what I’ve submitted?
If you need to make changes, email [email protected].

The application deadline is here. May I still apply? What if a document arrives late?
December 1 is the application deadline for admission and merit-based award consideration for all undergraduate and most graduate programs. For some programs there may be a short grace period to accept late documents. Complete applications consist of the online application, all transcripts, any required test scores, essays or personal statement, recommendations, and an Artistic Profile. We understand that recommendation letters may not come in until after the deadline, but we will require that all have been received before making an offer of admission.After the deadline, we may accept late applications at our discretion if space remains.

What is Enrollment Connect?
Enrollment Connect​ is a U-M website for all your application needs: track your checklist and application status, receive important messages from the Office of Undergraduate Admissions, view your application decision, and more. Enrollment Connect is only for undergraduate applicants.

What is a Friend Account? How do I get one?
A Friend Account is an online account that allows you to log in to Wolverine Access for the purpose of tracking your financial aid information (if applicable), updating your contact information, and (if you are a graduate applicant) tracking your application status. One to two days after you have submitted your online application, you will receive an email message with instructions on how to create a Friend Account.

Covid-19 Impact on Admissions Policies

(Last updated 2/27/2024)

If I took classes pass/fail due to the pandemic, will that count against me?
No, we understand these were extraordinary circumstances and will not view pass/fail classes negatively.

My school moved to online instruction. Does this mean I have to follow the guidelines for Homeschooled and Online High School applicants?
No, if you attend an in-person high school that moved to remote/online instruction due to Covid-19, you do not have to complete those requirements. If you are or were previously enrolled in a high school that exclusively teaches online courses (and was doing so before the pandemic), then you will need to complete those requirements.

My testing session was canceled. Do I still have to submit ACT or SAT scores?
Effective for the 2025 application cycle, beginning with the application for the winter 2025 term (if applicable), U-M will be test-optional. Prospective students have the choice to submit standardized test scores (ACT/SAT), if they desire, as part of their application. Please contact the Office of Undergraduate Admissions to clarify any questions you have about their standardized testing policy.

Will SMTD have in-person auditions?
Yes, if the public health scenario and guidelines allow, SMTD is planning to have in-person auditions for the 2024-25 application year. Online or recorded auditions are available options for those applicants who cannot or prefer not to travel to campus and will be fully considered for admission on an equal basis with those who audition in person.

Undergraduate Degree Programs

What’s the difference between the various bachelor’s degrees?
One of the strengths of the School of Music, Theatre & Dance (SMTD) is the diversity of programs available to undergraduate students.

Here are the various undergraduate degrees that the school offers.

Bachelor of Arts (BA)
The Bachelor of Arts is designed for students seeking a well-rounded, substantive music education within the framework of a solid liberal arts education. The BA is not a performance program but is designed for students who want to pursue careers in areas such as arts administration, music criticism, or graduate study in a variety of fields.

Bachelor of Music (BM)
The Bachelor of Music provides intensive artistic training and preparation within a concentrated musical field. The BM is offered in Composition, Music Education, Music Theory, Musicology, Performing Arts Technology, and Performance.

Approximately 75% of the coursework of the BM is in music, while the remaining 25% is completed in other areas.

Bachelor of Musical Arts (BMA)
The Bachelor of Musical Arts is a four-year professional degree with a larger commitment to the liberal arts. Within the BMA, concentrations are offered in performance or multidisciplinary studies. The performance concentration allows a student to pursue either jazz or classical performance along with a mixture of outside academic coursework. The multidisciplinary studies concentration allows students the flexibility to pursue academic coursework—within SMTD and in other departments across the University—which is tailored to each student’s specific musical and non-artistic interests.

Approximately half of the coursework required for the BMA degree is based in SMTD with the remainder based in liberal arts courses.

Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA)
The Bachelor of Fine Arts offers professional coursework for an intensive concentration. The BFA is offered in Acting, Dance, Design & Production, Directing, Interarts Performance, Jazz, Musical Theatre, and Performing Arts Technology.

A majority of the coursework for the BFA is based in the major concentration with the remaining coursework based in other areas.

Bachelor of Theatre Arts (BTA)
The Bachelor of Theatre Arts is designed for students seeking a well-rounded, substantive theatre education within the framework of a solid liberal arts education. The BTA is not a performance program but is designed for students who want to pursue careers in areas such as production management, arts administration, dramaturgy, or teaching.

Bachelor of Science (BS)
The Bachelor of Science is offered in Sound Engineering with a rigorous professional training in acoustics, the physics of sound, sound engineering, computer science, and sound recording.

Because of the academic rigor of this program, there are higher academic expectations than in other music programs.

Dual Degree Programs
Students have the option to pursue a dual degree program with another school or college within the University. Dual degree programs are intended for students who seek the technical or academic studies associated with the College of Engineering or the College of Literature, Science, & the Arts in combination with the professional training in performance-based or academic music studies associated with SMTD. Students interested in these programs can seek concurrent admission to both colleges. If successful, their programs of study lead to stand-alone bachelor’s degrees from each unit. It is usually possible for students electing 16–17 credits per term to meet all requirements in 5 years.

Early Action

Does SMTD offer Early Action for admission?
No. While Early Action is available at several other U-M schools and colleges, SMTD does not offer Early Action.

If I apply as a Dual Degree student to a U-M school or college that has Early Action, will that apply to my SMTD application?
No. While you will be considered for Early Action at the other school or college, your SMTD application will follow the Regular Decision timeline.

My program of interest has an October 15 deadline for early applications. Does this mean I’ll hear back sooner about whether I’m being admitted?
No. Some programs, such as Dance, have early audition dates for which we need students’ application materials earlier but it does not otherwise have an impact on the admissions timeline. For Musical Theatre applicants, those who apply by October 15 will receive the results from their pre-screening and academic review by November 15, but the rest of the admissions timeline will remain the same.

Michigan Marching Band Auditions

I would like to audition for the Michigan Marching Band.  How do I schedule an audition?
The Michigan Marching Band is an ensemble open by audition to any student at U-M. Please contact the Michigan Marching Band directly to learn more about their audition process.


If I was previously enrolled at SMTD but left before obtaining my degree, can I continue my degree program?
Any continuing degree-seeking student who has not been enrolled for twelve months or more must apply for readmission. If you are seeking readmission at the same degree level, the application fee is waived. Please submit an SMTD Artistic Profile containing a copy of an official transcript of all work completed since your previous enrollment, an updated resume and repertoire list (if applicable), and a personal statement outlining concrete plans to complete your degree. For more information and to start the process, please contact SMTD Admissions.