Virtual Visionaries – Join us for an exciting 10-week series of open conversations with a diverse group of leaders about topics ranging from personal finance issues, to developing identity-driven work, along with a variety of entrepreneurial approaches relevant to young arts professionals. Learn more!
“Forging New Paths”2:00pm - 3:00pm,Watch online!
Free and open to allFree
“Running an Arts Organization”4:00pm - 5:00pm,Watch online!
Free and open to allFree
Forge Your Career
SMTD is revolutionizing the way performing arts students prepare for their careers. We boast one of the nation’s most robust career planning and entrepreneurship programs for the performing arts—EXCEL (Excellence in Entrepreneurship, Career Empowerment & Leadership)—which includes generous funding for student ventures. We also offer a rich variety of Community Engagement programs across multiple disciplines, providing students with hands-on work experience. SMTD is empowering students to embrace a brave new world of career possibilities, and to live a fulfilling and creative life, made possible by an exceptional education.
Become the Artist You’re Meant to Be
Choosing where you will study performing arts has never been more important. Learning to master your craft with internationally renowned artists and scholars who are not only at the top of their field, but are also great teachers, is a top priority
Reach for the Stars
Our alumni are represented in every area of the performing arts, making important contributions in all fields—as soloists and in musical ensembles of every kind … in academia … on and behind stage and screen … as composers, arrangers and conductors … in dance, opera and theatre companies … and in performing arts management.
Benj Pasek (BFA '06), Gavin Creel (BFA '98), and Justin Paul (BFA '06)
at the 2017 Tony Awards
Here are just a few of our celebrated alumni:
- JULIANA ATHAYDE (BM ’02, viloin) concertmaster, Rochester Philharmonic Orchestra
- LILY BALDWIN (BFA ’00 dance) dancer, choreographer, filmmaker
- JANAI BRUGGER (MM ’09, voice) soprano
- DARREN CRISS (BFA ’09, theatre) actor
- CARLOS GARCIA, aka L05 (BFA ’12, performing arts technology) performer, designer, engineer, producer
- JASON GEARY (MA ’98, musicology) dean Mason Gross School of the Arts (Rutgers)
- CELIA KEENAN-BOLGER (BFA ’00, musical theatre) actor, singer
- SAMEER PATEL (BM ’04, music theory; MM ’07, conducting) associate conductor San Diego Symphony
- DANIEL BENARD ROUMAIN (MM ’95, DMA ’00, composition) composer, violinist
- JASON STEIN (MM ’04, jazz and contemporary improvisation) jazz musician
- KELLY ZIMBA (BM ’13, flute, music education) principal flute Toronto Symphony Orchestra
“I gained a broad array of skills at SMTD, which were invaluable to me as I established my career. But what I love most about Michigan is the warmth, compassion, and individual support of faculty—they are committed to helping every student achieve their full potential through personal guidance and mentorship. My SMTD teachers have continued to help guide my journey, and I fully credit them with helping me get to where I am today!”
CARLA CANALES (BA '02, voice)
Founder, CEO, Artistic Director of The Canales Project; Sphinx Medal of Excellence winner; U.S. Cultural Envoy
Find Yourself at Michigan
When a great performing arts school is embedded within the nation’s top public research university, endless possibilities unfold. The quintessential college experience coincides with exceptional conservatory training, brilliant research, and unrivaled interdisciplinary opportunities. And it all takes place at a great college town with big city cultural excellence. Find your story at Michigan and create your future.