The Musical Theatre Workshop is a wide-ranging educational program that gives students the opportunity to work on the Ann Arbor campus with faculty members in the renowned University of Michigan Department of Musical Theatre. The Musical Theatre Workshop enrolls approximately 40 students and is designed for juniors and seniors who are considering BFA degree programs in college.
U-M Faculty Director: Professor Emeritus Brent Wagner
Session Dates: July 14 – August 3, 2019
Priority Application Deadline: January 14, 2019
Workshop topics will include:
- An analysis of song lyrics
- Acting techniques for song interpretation, including songs from shows currently on Broadway
- Dance styles of major choreographers
- Contemporary trends in musical theatre in New York City
- The vocabulary of the field
- Voice study, including stylistic approaches for pop songs and contemporary songs
- The wide range of repertoire for both stage and film
- Monologue exploration
- Audition techniques for both stage and film
- Tools for creating character and situation
- Musical theatre history and history of musicals on film
Workshop students also will participate in a wide variety of master classes with faculty members from the Department of Musical Theatre, the Department of Theatre & Drama, and the Department of Dance. Graduates of the Department also teach classes. Extra sessions are devoted to the application and audition process for university programs. Students will have a clear understanding of the college exploration, application and audition process by the end of the 3-week session.
On the final Saturday, parents will be invited to the last class of the workshop for an informal demonstration of the techniques studied during the three weeks of the workshop.
Note: No auditions for The University of Michigan are held during the summer.
The workshop is open to 2018-2019 high school juniors, although applications from 2018-2019 sophomores of exceptional ability and experience are considered. Admission decisions are based on a student’s application (including training and experience), recommendation, transcript, and audition. Applicants must have at least a B average in a rigorous college prep program in order to have their audition reviewed.
The application consists of three parts.
Applications are not considered complete until all required materials are received.
Application Checklist for Musical Theatre Workshop
- Complete the Online Application
- Pay the non-refundable Application Fee of $75.00
- Upload your Audition Materials via Acceptd, the MPulse Online Audition Portal (details for each entry outlined in Audition Portal)
- Audition Videos
- Voice (two videos)
- Acting (two videos)
- Personal Statement (one video)
- Recommendation Letter(s)
- Audition Videos
Priority deadline for all application/audition materials to be submitted is January 14, 2019.
Admission notifications for priority applicants will be e-mailed on February 22, 2019.
For priority consideration and notification, all application and audition materials must be received by the priority deadline. Applications may be accepted after the priority deadline for programs and/or instruments in which openings remain. Review, admission, and notification for late applications will be on a rolling basis. Space is limited.
Admissions decisions will not be given by phone.