We welcome applications from students who wish to transfer from an accredited four-year or two-year college.
Admission as a transfer student from another accredited college or university is based in general on the high school and university academic preparation plus the following:
- Cumulative collegiate GPA of 3.0 or better
- Evidence of ability and preparation to successfully pursue courses in academic fields that constitute a part of the desired curriculum
- Good standing at the previous school(s)
- A successful audition/interview evaluation by the SMTD faculty
- Transfer applicants to Musical Theatre are advised to fulfill additional prerequisites, which are listed in the Musical Theatre section of the Auditions & Interviews page
- Transfer applicants to Theatre Performance are advised that they will not be able to graduate in less than four years from the time they start at SMTD
If you wish to apply, please review the undergraduate application procedure for your program of interest.
If you took the SAT or ACT as a high school student, you will need to have official test scores sent by the testing agency to the U-M Office of Undergraduate Admissions. International transfer students who are non-native English speakers must submit valid TOEFL, IELTS, or EPCE/MET test scores.
Students from four-year colleges can transfer a maximum of 75 credits; students from two-year colleges can transfer up to 62. All credit transfer requests are evaluated at Orientation with an SMTD academic advisor. Evaluations are made on a case-by-case basis, but no student transferring into SMTD can do so at higher than junior standing.
Courses in music, theatre, and dance that have been applied to a four-year degree completed elsewhere are not eligible to transfer toward a degree at SMTD.
College credits earned for courses taken elsewhere will generally be accepted for transfer credit if they correspond to a U-M course offering and they have been taken for credit with an earned grade of “C” or better. Transfer credit will be posted to your U-M record after we have received your final, official transcript from your previous college or university. Please visit the Office of Undergraduate Admissions website to read more about transferring credit to U-M.
U-M Cross-Campus Transfers
Cross-campus transfer applicants are students already enrolled in another school or college at U-M who want to add a second degree within the School of Music, Theatre & Dance or switch degree programs entirely. Cross-campus transfer applicants should submit the online cross-campus transfer application and an Artistic Profile by December 1.