Incoming: Study Abroad/ Study Exchange

Study Exchange programs are currently on hold until further notice. Please contact [email protected] for additional information about study abroad.

International Programs for Students from Abroad

The University of Michigan and the School of Music, Theatre & Dance international study programs allow students from abroad to enroll at the SMTD for one semester or one academic year. Any non-first year undergraduate or graduate level student in good academic standing (3.0 minimum GPA) who wishes to pursue relevant studies to supplement an ongoing degree program and desires an outstanding opportunity for cultural immersion and intensive language study may apply.

This information is for students interested in studying at the SMTD in a non-degree granting program only; the student will return to their home institution at the conclusion of their studies. If you are interested in applying to the SMTD in a degree-seeking program instead, please see SMTD International Admissions.

Term Dates and Application Deadline

The SMTD welcomes study abroad and study exchange applicants for the Fall (September—December) and Winter (January—April) terms. The application deadline is February 1 for either program. Find other important dates on the University’s academic calendar.

Audition Requirements

Students interested in pursuing either a study exchange or study abroad program at the SMTD must submit a recording based on the requirements for in-person auditions as listed on the Undergraduate and Graduate Audition Requirements pages. Please follow the appropriate link and find  your department to see the audition requirements for your program. If you wish to study with a specific faculty member, please note that on your application.


If coursework in piano, written or aural theory, or language is intended, students must take the appropriate placement exam at the beginning of the semester. Students may sign up for placement exams by contacting the Office of Admissions.

For a complete list of classes available at the University of Michigan, including those within the SMTD, please see the Schedule of Classes.


In order to obtain a Visa, all students must:

  • Demonstrate English language proficiency through a recognized English language test, signed documentation from an academic institution or English language school, or an interview.
  • Demonstrate sufficient funding to cover living expenses for the length of your stay in the United States. The amount needed can vary based on the length of your stay and whether or not you bring dependents with you. Your actual expenses may be more or less than the amount required for Visa paperwork. These expenses include, but are not limited to: travel to and from the United States, housing, food, books, health insurance and care, and other miscellaneous expenses.
  • Maintain required health insurance coverage for the length of your stay

Please see our International Center for more information about Visas.


Students have a variety of housing options available in Ann Arbor. Please see the the Housing at the International Center for more information. Be aware that housing in Ann Arbor fills up quickly and options may be increasingly limited the longer you wait to seek housing. Make your living arrangements as soon as possible.

Study Exchange Opportunities

Study exchange programs offer students from our international partner institutions the opportunity to study at SMTD for one semester or one academic year. Study exchange students continue to pay tuition to their home institution instead of U-M tuition and fees.

The SMTD has current exchange partnerships with:

  • Conservatoire de Paris; Paris, France
  • Hochschule für Musik; Freiburg, Germany
  • Hochschule für Musik; Karlsruhe, Germany
  • Sibelius Academy; Helsinki, Finland
  • Trinity Laban Conservatoire; London, England
  • Zurich University of the Arts; Zurich, Switzerland
How to apply

Please contact the study exchange coordinator at your home institution. You may use your standard study abroad/ERASMUS application form.

Please submit the following via your study exchange coordinator to the School of Music, Theatre & Dance exchange coordinator:

  • Application form
  • Letter of Motivation/Statement of Purpose for studying abroad
  • Resume/CV
  • Academic Transcript
  • Letters of Recommendation (one should attest to your English language ability)
  • A photocopy of your passport
  • Audition recordings (if applicable)
Study Abroad Opportunities

Students who do not currently attend one of our partner institutions may apply as a study abroad student. Students who come to the SMTD on a study abroad program must pay all fees associated with the University of Michigan, School of Music, Theatre & Dance.