Girls in Music and Technology (GiMaT) is a virtual day camp designed to encourage participation by girls in activities at the intersection of music and technology. GiMaT participation is open to all genders and offers the hands-on opportunity to learn creative technologies for making music with computers, with faculty from U-M School of Music, Theatre & Dance Department of Performing Arts Technology.
Program Dates: August 17 – 28, 2020
U-M Faculty Director: Zeynep Ozcan
Program Application Open: May 1, 2020
Priority Application Deadline: June 1, 2020
Admissions Notification: June 15, 2020
Program Capacity: 15
Necessary Equipment and Software to be purchased if admitted is approximately $175
- Electronic Music Composition
- Historical Perspectives on Electronic Music and Female Electronic Music Pioneers
- Introduction to Music Production with Ableton Live
- Computer Programming for Music: Introduction to MAX MSP and Sound Synthesis
- Electronic Musical Instrument Design with Makey Makey
- Live Performance with Electronics and Live Coding
- Weekly Showcase of Student Works
Eligibility: GiMaT is for students in grades 9-12. Experience with music, computer programming, or music software is not required, but will be beneficial. The camp is open to students of all gender identities, and is designed to encourage and support campers who wish to explore musical applications of technology.
For more info, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Complete the online application, including paying the application fee of $75 per student. Pay by credit card or by check/money order payable to University of Michigan. If paying by check, please send payment with a printed copy of your confirmation page to the address below:
Youth & Adult Community Programs
108 Stearns Building
2005 Baits Drive
Ann Arbor, MI 48109
2. Submit Additional Materials
Email your response to the following prompts to email@example.com. The subject of the email should be GiMaT Essay.
Your essay can be any length as long as it addresses all of these topics:
- How do you think technology will change the way we create, distribute, and listen to music ten years in the future?
- Why do you think it is important to expand opportunities for women and girls in music technology?
- Name an inspirational woman (past or present) who has worked with technology and music and explain why you find her to be inspiring.
If you have any, describe your prior experience in any of the following areas (this does not need to be in a paragraph format):
- Computer programming
- Music recording or production software
- Music lessons or music classes in school
MPulse awards a limited number of scholarships to extremely talented students based on Faculty discretion. Consideration for these scholarships is automatic for applications received by the priority deadline.
A limited number of need-based scholarships are available. To be considered for a need-based scholarship you must complete the online need-based financial aid application by the priority deadline. To begin the process, select “Need Based Award Consideration” in the program application.
Application open to Michigan residents.
In the spirit of the life of a graduate of the University of Michigan Medical School (1942) and Michigan physician, the Watson A. Young Scholarship promotes academic excellence and college aspiration among students with financial need. These need-based scholarships support middle and high school students’ participation in summer opportunities at U-M that seek to develop students’ interests and abilities in academic disciplines and expose students to the experiences and possibilities provided by higher education.
To start an application, click here.
- Makey Makey Classic – $49 (Required)
- Alesis Vmini 25-Key Portable Keyboard Controller (Or Equivalent)
- Audio-Technica M20X Headphone (Or Equivalent)
- Personal computer (desktop or laptop) Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you need assistance with acquiring a computer for MPulse use.
- Ableton Live (Short-term licenses available) (Free)
- Max (Short-term licenses available) (Free)
- VCV Rack – Virtual Eurorack DAW (free)
- Gibber – Live-coding Platform (free)