Designed for students seeking intensive study with a major artist-teacher and performance experience to develop into a highly qualified professional musician. Applicants must possess a bachelor’s degree in music or its equivalent as well as substantial solo and ensemble repertoire.
The Master of Music in Performance: Strings requires a minimum of 30 credits. Coursework to include:
- Private lessons
- Ensemble participation
- String Quartet (for violin, viola, cello) or Orchestral Repertory (for double bass)
- Non-Performance SMTD electives
The presentation of a recital
Students may elect to pursue a double-major in Performance & Chamber Music, which may be completed in two years.
For requirement details, please see the Degree Requirements and Term-by-Term Layout for Current Students.
How To Apply
- apply to U-M via the SMTD Graduate Application by December 1
- Submit an SMTD Artistic Profile by December 1 for a live audition
- Have all supplemental materials sent to SMTD
Click “Apply Now” below to read more detailed information about the application requirements and procedures.Apply Now