Designed for students seeking intensive study with a major artist-teacher and performance experience to develop into a highly qualified professional musician. Applicants must possess a bachelor’s degree in music or its equivalent as well as substantial solo and ensemble repertoire.
The Master of Music in Performance: Wind & Percussion Instruments requires a minimum of 31 credits. Coursework to include:
- Private lessons
- Ensemble participation
- Non-Performance SMTD electives
- Small Brass, Percussion, or Woodwind Ensemble
The presentation of a recital.
Students may elect to pursue a double-major in Performance & Chamber Music, which may be completed in two years.
For requirement details, please see the Degree Requirements and Term-by-Term Layout for Current Students.
How To Apply
- apply to U-M via the SMTD Graduate Application by December 1
- Submit an SMTD Artistic Profile by December 1 for a live audition
- submit by January 15 for a recorded audition (if allowed by the instrument faculty)
- Have all supplemental materials sent to SMTD
Click “Apply Now” below to read more detailed information about the application requirements and procedures.Apply Now
Ian Antonio, percussion
Daniel Gilbert Chair, clarinet
Kwasi Ampene world percussion
Chad Burrow clarinet
William Campbell trumpet
David Lee Jackson trombone
Nancy Ambrose King oboe
Jeffrey Lyman bassoon
Timothy McAllister saxophone
Doug Perkins, percussion
Amy Porter flute
Adam Unsworth horn
David Zerkel, tuba & euphonium