Designed for students seeking intensive study with a major artist-teacher and performance experience to develop into a highly qualified professional musician. Applicants must possess a bachelor’s degree in music or its equivalent as well as substantial solo and ensemble repertoire.
The Master of Music in Performance: Strings requires a minimum of 30 credits. Coursework to include:
- Private lessons
- Ensemble participation
- String Quartet (for violin, viola, cello) or Orchestral Repertory (for double bass)
- Non-Performance SMTD electives
The presentation of a recital
Students may elect to pursue a double-major in Performance & Chamber Music, which may be completed in two years.
For requirement details, please see the Degree Requirements and Term-by-Term Layout for Current Students.
How To Apply
- apply to U-M via the SMTD Graduate Application by December 1
- Submit an SMTD Artistic Profile by December 1 for a live audition
- submit by January 15 for a recorded audition
- Have all supplemental materials sent to SMTD
Click “Apply Now” below to read more detailed information about the application requirements and procedures.Apply Now
The diverse talents and backgrounds of our faculty, guest faculty and artists in residence provide students with a broad range of experiences and expertise.
- Associated Faculty