Designed for students seeking intensive study with a major artist-teacher and performance experience to develop into a highly qualified, professional conductor. Applicants must possess a bachelor’s degree in music or its equivalent.
The Master of Music in Conducting: Choral requires a minimum of 32 credits. Coursework to include:
- Choral Conducting
- Orchestral Conducting Seminar
- Aural Skills for Conductors
- Music Theory
- Ensemble participation
- SMTD electives
A presentation of a final conducting project consisting of two or more conducting appearances, one of which must be with an SMTD major ensemble.
For requirement details, please see the Degree Requirements and Term-by-Term Layout for Current Students.
How To Apply
- Apply to U-M via the SMTD Graduate Application by December 1
- Submit an SMTD Artistic Profile by December 1
- Have all supplemental materials sent to SMTD
Click “Apply Now” below to read more detailed information about the application requirements and procedures.Apply Now