Designed for students seeking intensive and specialized professional training in chamber music (available in violin, viola, cello, and double bass). Applicants must possess a bachelor’s degree in music or its equivalent, along with substantial solo and ensemble repertoire.
The Master’s of Music in Chamber Music: Strings requires a minimum of 30 credits. Coursework to include:
- Private lessons
- Ensemble participation
- Non-performance SMTD electives
Presentation of a recital to include two major chamber works, including at least one string quartet (excluding double bassists), as well as one concerted sonata for the major instrument and piano.
Students may elect to pursue a double-major in Chamber Music & Performance, which may be completed in two years.
For requirement details, please see the Degree Requirements and Term-by-Term Layout for Current Students.
How To Apply
- Apply to U-M via the SMTD Graduate Application by December 1
- Submit an SMTD Artistic Profile by December 1 for a live audition
- submit by January 15 for a recorded audition
- Have all supplemental materials sent to SMTD
Click “Apply Now” below to read more detailed information about the application requirements and procedures.Apply Now
- Chamber Music
- Matthew Albert chair, violin/viola
- Associated Faculty