The SMTD Faculty Research Grant program is designed to encourage and stimulate faculty research by providing grants up to $2,000 to support small-scale projects. Note that the Faculty Research Grant is only for work not yet completed. The program is administered solely by the School of Music, Theatre & Dance. Faculty Research Grant applications are submitted to the Associate Dean for Faculty Affairs and are evaluated by the Faculty Research Committee in collaboration with the Dean of the School, or designee. Any questions regarding the SMTD Faculty Research Grant should be addressed to the Associate Dean for Faculty Affairs, Anita Gonzalez (email@example.com).
Each application must contain a narrative that addresses the project’s scholarly and/or artistic rigor and potential cultural impact. The grant proposal must include a budget with specific details of the funding request and quotes or/and invoices for each budget item, where appropriate. Faculty are strongly encouraged to secure matching funds from other sources to support their projects. The Associate Dean for Faculty Affairs can assist with proposal and budget development as well as with conducting funding searches. SMTD Faculty Research Grant funds are NOT available for retroactive funding, costs overruns, or disallowances.
Or until funds are expended in the fiscal year.
Key considerations during a proposal review include:
- Artistic and/or scholarly merit and likely impact of the project on advancing the faculty member’s research/artistic agenda, and contributing to the field
- Potential to further the School’s relevance and cultural impact in the performing arts
- Clarity of proposal budget and justification
In general, the Research Grant program does not support:
- Travel to present at conferences or participate in performances, where travel funds are available to a faculty member or costs are offset by an honorarium
- Recruitment activities
- Projects that are primarily instructional
- Professional development workshops
- Duplication of CD/DVDs
- Multiple grant proposals per fiscal year (i.e., from an individual faculty member, or requesting funds for the same project)
The SMTD Research Office is committed to responding to faculty requests as quickly as possible. Notification of funding decisions is typically made within 8 weeks of the proposal submission deadline. Late proposal submissions will be processed in the next funding cycle.
The recipient of a Faculty Research Grant will work with the SMTD Business Office to access the funds. Retain all receipts and other documentation of expenditures as outlined in the proposal. Funds must be spent according to the terms of the project budget, and unspent funds will be returned to SMTD following the conclusion of your project. Standard University financial procedures and regulations apply.
Within one month after grant funds are expended and the project is completed, the faculty member is required to submit a final report (DOCX) to the Associate Dean for Faculty Affairs describing the status of the grant budget and the outcomes of the project. A faculty member may apply for a new SMTD Faculty Research Grant only after the final report is submitted.