The EXCEL Internship Fund provides students grant awards up to $1,000 to cover living and travel expenses related to a summer internship. In special cases, students may receive awards above $1,000.
Priority Deadline: March 22, 2019; notification date: April 5. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until funding is exhausted.
- Applicant must be a current undergraduate or graduate student in SMTD at the time of application.
- Applicant must be seeking an internship that does not provide a stipend.
- Applicant must have an internship experience secured in order to apply for funding.
- Students who have received other project awards from EXCEL may apply for the Internship Fund.
- Internship must be completed by the start of Fall 2019.
- The internship must require at least 100 hours of work. If under this threshold, applicants must explain why this experience should be funded (ie: opportunity to work with important contacts, etc). EXCEL reserves the right to not fund internships that do not meet this hour requirement.
- The applicant must demonstrate why the Internship is crucial to their professional development.
- The applicant must include a link to the organization and describe its stature in the 300-word narrative.
- The applicant must include proof of their internship through a detailed email or letter from the organization.
Submit the following documents prior to the priority deadline, March 23, 2019, through the online portal:
Grant Narrative – please address the following questions in a 300-word document (roughly one page, PDF format ONLY):
List your name, student ID number, and degree program at the top of the narrative.
Please describe the internship itself and the organization you will be working at. What are the core responsibilities of the position?
Please describe, in detail, how this internship will impact your professional development, and how it relates to your overall career goals. Why is working at this organization an important opportunity for you? What do you hope to learn from your experience?
Please describe the time commitment of the internship, and the specific duties for which you will be responsible.
Describe your personal financial circumstances, and why you need this funding to engage in this internship.
Project Budget – may be attached as a spreadsheet or embedded in narrative document:
List all of your expenses and indicate those that the internship award will cover.
Please include secured funding from other sources as part of the budget.
A one page recommendation letter from a faculty mentor
A written statement from the internship organization confirming your standing internship offer including start/end dates, number of hours required for the internship, and general responsibilities of the role.
Supplemental: A maximum of two additional documents or links that help demonstrate the merit of the experience.