The School of Music, Theatre & Dance (SMTD) is committed to delivering the highest quality educational experience possible, consistent with the standards of the University of Michigan. SMTD is prioritizing the health and safety of all members of our community, with special consideration and thought toward vulnerable individuals, by following health and safety protocols and public health guidance designed to minimize and prevent the spread of COVID-19 within our community. The nature of an in-person educational experience means our faculty, staff, and students may be exposed to contagious viruses, including the coronavirus. Those students who have chosen to return to campus for the 2020-2021 Academic Year are required to comply with all U-M and SMTD policies, including any public health guidance related to COVID-19.
Central to the success of these efforts is the Wolverine Culture of Care, that lays out the collective responsibility shared by students, faculty, staff and Ann Arbor residents for the well-being of our community. This is supported by a COVID 19-related Addendum to the Statement of Student Rights and Responsibilities, and the following SMTD Student Commitment to the Wolverine Culture of Care that applies to all in-person student activities at SMTD:
- Students are expected to comply with health and safety guidelines set by state or local authorities, the University of Michigan, and SMTD. SMTD guidelines
- Health and safety guidelines extend to all aspects of SMTD facilities use, including rehearsal, practice, and performance spaces, classrooms, libraries, and bathrooms, or at SMTD affiliated or sponsored events.
- Students are prohibited from creating a health or safety hazard (for example, not following mask wearing and social distancing policies) within SMTD facilities or in connection with SMTD activities, and students who fail to follow health and safety guidelines are subject to disciplinary and academic consequences, which may include removal from in-person activities.
- Students who test positive or have symptoms for COVID-19 must notify University Health Services Hotline (734-764-8320) immediately.
- Students who test positive for or have symptoms of COVID-19 are not permitted to enter SMTD facilities until medically cleared by a healthcare provider to resume in-person activities.
- Students will cooperate with and participate in any contact tracing process used by U-M or SMTD if requested.