Fall 2020 Orientation Schedule
Wednesday, August 26, 2020
9:00 AM–9:55 AM Orientation Meeting required for all new graduate & transfer students – Britton Recital Hall, Moore Building
10:00 AM–3:00 PM Theory Placement Exam (for new graduate students and undergraduate transfer students in music) – Britton Recital Hall, Moore Building
- 10:00 AM–11:00 AM – First Year Aural Skills
- 11:00 AM–12:00 PM – Second Year Aural Skills
- 12:00 PM–1:00 PM – Lunch break *on your own*
- 1:00 PM–2:00 PM – Writing Skills
- 2:00 PM–3:00 PM – Basic Tonal Analysis
5:00 PM–6:00 PM Analysis of 20th Century Music Exam (required for piano, organ, composition and theory majors; suggested for students who have training in this area)
6:00 PM–7:00 PM Keyboard Harmony Exams (required for music theory majors; if you are required to take this exam, you will be scheduled for a 10-20 minute appointment)
You will receive your placement results by email at your umich.edu address. SMTD Faculty Advisors will also be able to see your results. If you have any questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thursday, August 27, 2020
- Graduate Musicology Conference
- Pre-Doctoral Advising
- Lyric Diction Exam
Friday, August 28, 2020
- Graduate Student Welcome
- Lyric Diction Exam
- Get your Uniqname; activate your U-M email account.
- Visit the ensembles office page for details about the required repertoire and how to schedule an ensemble audition.
- Sign up for the Theory Placement Exam (graduate dance and jazz majors are exempt)
- Prepare for Theory and other placement testing
- Start planning your schedule on Wolverine Access. Use the Backpack feature to assemble classes you’re interested in taking.
- REGISTER for classes beginning June 3.
- Get your Mcard.
Winter 2020 Orientation Schedule (additional details to be posted soon)
Theory Placement Exam (TPE) will be Monday, January 6, 2020 beginning at 12:00 pm (EST)
- 12:00 PM–1:00 PM – First Year Aural Skills
- 1:00 PM–2:00 PM – Second Year Aural Skills
- 2:00 PM–3:00 PM – Writing Skills
- 3:00 PM–4:00 PM – Basic Tonal Analysis