The University of Michigan School of Music, Theatre & Dance educates the artists, scholars, educators and entrepreneurs of the future. Students are prepared with expert skills, instilled with passionate enthusiasm, and emboldened to challenge and inspire the world through the power of the performing arts.
Jamie Colburn and Jessica Gomes-Ng will perform the roles of Tony and Maria, respectively, in selections from West Side Story as part of one of the Philharmonic’s Young People’s Concert at Hill Auditorium on Nov. 18
SMTD has partnered with the Gershwin family to bring the music of George and Ira Gershwin to students, scholars, performers and audiences across campus and worldwide.
One of the strengths of the School of Music, Theatre & Dance (SMTD) is the diversity of programs available to undergraduate students. If your plans grow, you won't have to transfer—it's all available here.
Admission to the SMTD comes with admission to the University of Michigan! We know you have many interests in life. We've made it easy for you to explore in a variety of directions within four years.
Consider now which program will best meet your personal and professional goals.
The Bachelor of Music provides intensive artistic training and preparation within a concentrated musical field. The BM is offered in Composition, Music Education, Music Theory, Musicology, Performing Arts Technology, and Performance.
Approximately 75% of the coursework of the BM is in music, while the remaining 25% is completed in other areas.
The Bachelor of Fine Arts offers professional coursework for an intensive concentration. The BFA is offered in Acting, Dance, Design & Production, Directing, Interarts Performance, Jazz, Musical Theatre, and Performing Arts Technology.
A majority of the coursework for the BFA is based in the major concentration with the remaining coursework based in other areas.
The Bachelor of Science is offered in Sound Engineering with a rigorous professional training in acoustics, the physics of sound, sound engineering, computer science, and sound recording.
Because of the academic rigor of this program, there are higher academic expectations than in other music programs.
The Bachelor of Musical Arts is a four-year professional degree with a larger commitment to the liberal arts. Within the BMA, concentrations are offered in performance as well as multidisciplinary studies. The performance concentration allows a student to pursue either jazz or classical performance along with a mixture of outside academic coursework. The multidisciplinary studies concentration allows students the flexibility to pursue academic coursework—within the SMTD and in other departments across the University—which is tailored to each student's specific musical and extra-musical interests.
Approximately half of the coursework required for the BMA degree is SMTD-based with the remainder based in liberal arts courses.
The Bachelor of Theatre Arts is designed for students seeking a well-rounded, substantive theatre education within the framework of a solid liberal arts education. The BTA is not a performance program but is designed for students who want to pursue careers in areas such as production management, arts administration, dramaturgy, or teaching.
Also available is the option to pursue a dual-degree program with another school or college within the University. Dual degree programs are intended for students who seek the technical or academic studies associated with the College of Engineering or the College of Literature, Science, and the Arts in combination with the professional training in performance-based or academic music studies associated with the School of Music, Theatre & Dance. Students interested in these programs must seek concurrent admission to both colleges, and, if successful, their programs of study lead to stand-alone bachelor's degrees from each unit. It is usually possible for students electing 16–17 credits per term to meet all requirements in five years.
U-M Photo Services