The Community Outreach Performance Series connects SMTD students with community organizations and provides resources and support for positive interactions between performers and audiences. Performances take place in a wide variety of venues, including hospitals, senior centers, schools and community centers. In many cases, performances are provided for underserved communitites and for audiences who would not otherwise be able to access performances on their own. Meaningful interaction is a key component of this program and performers are provided training and support from U-M faculty and Youth & Adult Programs staff. Through this program, students are able to expand their experience performing for diverse audiences in non-traditional settings and develop important communication skills.
How to request a performance
- Contact Robin Myrick or call 734-936-2660.
- Choose one or more performance dates that fit your organization’s schedule.
- The outreach coordinator will contact you with date confirmation and information about the volunteer performer(s).
Each year, dozens of SMTD students perform in the community in a wide range of non-traditional settings. Current Outreach Community Partners are listed below:
- Brookhaven Manor
- Glacier Hills Senior Living Community
- Jewish Community Center
- Pinckney Public Library
- Putnam Township Senior Center
- St. Joseph’s Village Senior Housing
- U-M Center for Educational Outreach
- U-M Detroit Center
- UMHS Gifts of Arts
- Washtenaw Community College