Designed for students seeking intensive study with a major artist-teacher and performance experience to develop into a highly qualified professional musician. Applicants must possess a bachelor’s degree in music or its equivalent.
The Master of Music in Voice Performance requires a minimum of 35 credits. Coursework to include:
- Private voice lessons
- Ensemble participation
- Opera or Opera Workshop
- Voice Literature
- French, German, and Italian Diction
- Choral Conducting
- Musicology, Music Theory, or Composition
- Non-Performance SMTD electives
Applicants should have taken one semester in French, German, and Italian language prior to enrollment; however, any language deficiencies can be made up prior to or during enrollment at SMTD.
The presentation of a recital.
Each master’s student in voice performance is required to audition for a role in the School of Music, Theatre & Dance opera production during at least two terms. If cast, the student is required to perform the role, subject to the approval of his or her studio teacher.
For requirement details, please see the Degree Requirements and Term-by-Term Layout for Current Students.
How To Apply
- apply to U-M via the SMTD Graduate Application by December 1
- Submit an SMTD Artistic Profile by December 1 for a live audition
- submit by January 15 for a recorded audition
- Have all supplemental materials sent to SMTD
Click the button below to read more detailed information about the application requirements and procedures.Apply Now