Designed for students seeking the finest in traditional jazz training with the systematic study of jazz’s eclectic offshoots, along with innovative, interdisciplinary options which are at the cutting edge of pedagogical thought. Applicants should have a high level of skill in performance in both standard repertoire and improvisation styles in addition to well-developed aural skills. Applicants must possess a bachelor’s degree in music or its equivalent.
The Master of Music in Improvisation requires a minimum of 31 credits. Coursework to include:
- Private lessons
- Jazz & Contemporary Improvisation
- Ensemble participation
- Composition, Conducting, Musicology, Music Theory, and/or Music Education
- Dance and Related Arts or improvisation forms
Presentation of a final improvisation-based performance and recording project.
For requirement details, please see the Degree Requirements and Term-by-Term Layout for Current Students.
How To Apply
- apply to U-M via the SMTD Graduate Application by December 1
- Submit an SMTD Artistic Profile by December 1 for a live audition
- submit by January 15 for a recorded audition
- Have all supplemental materials sent to SMTD
Click “Apply Now” below to read more detailed information about the application requirements and procedures.Apply Now
- Associated Faculty