Information Technology Resources
To reach all SMTD IT staff members with a single message…
Call: 734-998-SMTD (on-campus 8-SMTD) which rings the IT team’s phones
- View a list of SMTD IT staff members with individual contact information
- Check the maintenance status and availability of campus-wide U-M Information Technology services
- Check the status of the SMTD servers
Instructions for connecting to the SMTD shared server space (S Drive)
Note: you must first have a VPN connection established. A VPN (virtual private network) is a software solution whereby network data (your data) is secured against interception.
SMTD computers already have the VPN software installed. A personally-owned computer might have a VPN, but installing U-M’s version will give you a pre-configured installation; all you’ll need to do is enter your uniqname and password.
- Install the VPN software, if necessary. The VPN software is available at http://its.umich.edu/enterprise/wifi-networks/vpn/getting-started
- Launch the VPN software and configure the VPN software with your uniqname and password- then you will be able to mount server volumes. You may disconnect the VPN when not needed.
- On an SMTD computer, select “Shared (“S” Drive)” from the block-M menu in the menu bar.On a personally-owned computer, enter the server address manually:
Mac- From the top menu bar in Finder, select “Go” > “Connect to Server…” and copy/paste this into the server info box: smb://smtd-shared.m.storage.umich.edu/smtd-shared
Windows- Select Start > Computer > Map network drive, and copy/paste this into the address field: \\smtd-shared.m.storage.umich.edu\smtd-sharedAlso, in Windows, the User Name is in the form of UMROOT\uniqname (replace with your uniqname)
- Navigate to the folder you wish to use on the smtd-shared volume.