Accompanying Service Policy
Please study the entire accompanying service policy carefully in order to make a complete request.
All Instrumental students can request to work with a school accompanist. The process must be completed through the online request format. Please make sure to fill out all the required information.
SMTD will be able to provide accompanying service to the following projects: (in their priority order)
- Degree recital
- Concerto Competition
- Studio recital
- U of M master classes
- Studio class performance
SMTD will be unable to provide accompanying services to the following projects:
- Non-degree recital
- Any competition that is not related to UM curriculum
- Any audition that is not related to UM curriculum
- Personal recording project
If you are in need of an accompanist for these projected, please contact Ms. Lydia Qiu at email@example.com for a copy of the Freelance Accompanist List, so you can contact the pianists on your own.
- Degree Recitals – Request must be turned in within the first three weeks of each term. When a degree recital is scheduled within the first month of a term, the instrumental student is responsible for contacting Ms. Lydia Qiu during the prior term to arrange to work with a school accompanist.
- Juries – Request for jury accompanist must be turned in at least 3 weeks prior to the last day of school each term.
- All Other Requests – Requests must be turned in at least 3 weeks prior to the performance date. This guarantees sufficient time for Lydia Qiu to process the request, as well as for the accompanist to prepare the music.
Student who fails to meet these deadlines will be responsible for hiring his/her own accompanist!
Once a request is matched with an available accompanist, student will receive email about the assigned pianist. At that point, it is the student’s responsibility to contact, and provide music to the accompanist within 5 working days. An assignment becomes void if the instrumental student fails to initiate the contact during that time period.
Accompanying assignments are not intended to last for the entire term. All requests need to specify a performance date, which will be considered as the ending date of the assignment. A new assignment will be assigned to the accompanist on this day. The purpose for this policy is to provide service to as many students as possible.
If you have any question about this policy, please contact Ms. Lydia Qiu at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Winds & Percussion students, please read the additional Department of Winds & Percussion Accompanying Service Policy below.
Revised September 2017
The Department of Winds & Percussion will provide pianists for the events and hours below:
- Degree Recital – 6 hours • Time allotment is for rehearsals (including the dress rehearsal), lessons, and studio class. If total time of music with piano is less than 31 minutes, hours will be allotted as follows: •3 hours for 1-15 minutes of music •4.5 hours for 16-30 minutes of music
- Concerto Competition (full work) – 3-4 hours as needed • Time allotment is for rehearsals, lessons, studio class, and competition performance.
- Concerto Competition (single movement) – 3 hours • Time allotment is for rehearsals, lessons, studio class, and competition performance.
- Jury – 3 hours • Time allotment is for rehearsals, lessons, studio class, and jury performance.
- Studio Recital – 2 hours • Time allotment is for rehearsals, lessons and studio recital performance.
- Studio Class Performance – 2 hours • Time allotment is for rehearsals, lessons, and studio class. • Individuals may request a pianist a maximum of two times per semester for studio class performances.
If extra rehearsal time is needed or desired, the student will be charged at a rate of $40/hour, paid directly to the pianist •$10 for 15-minute increments•
Degree Recital Fee
Students will pay a flat fee directly to the pianist at the conclusion of their recital at the following rate: •1-15 minutes of music with piano – $40 •16 – 30 minutes of music with piano – $75 •31 or more minutes of music with piano – $120
The Department of Winds & Percussion will provide a staff pianist for the above services only if the following deadlines are met:
- Degree Recital – application must be submitted and pianist confirmed within the first 3 full weeks of recital term. •For recitals occurring in the first month of a term, please contact coordinator Lydia Qiu (email@example.com) to put in special request at least 3 weeks prior to the beginning of the term.
- Concerto Competition – application must be submitted and pianist confirmed by October 15th of the fall term.
- Jury – application must be submitted and pianist confirmed 3 weeks prior to the final day of class in any given semester.
- Studio Recital – accompanist assignment will be coordinated through Lydia Qiu by the supervising Professor.
- Studio Class – application must be submitted and pianist confirmed 3 weeks prior to the performance date.
Students not meeting these deadlines will be fully responsible for hiring and paying a pianist
Applying for a Pianist
It is the duty of the student to fill out an accompanist request form by the deadline specified above. Accompanying Coordinator Lydia Qiu will then contact the student with assigned pianist and contact information.