Study Abroad/ Study Exchange

The SMTD international education opportunities allow students to enroll at an institution abroad for a semester, a summer, or an academic year, with the possibility of earning academic and/or performance credits toward an SMTD degree program. Any non-freshman undergraduate or graduate level SMTD student in good academic standing (3.0 minimum GPA) who wishes to pursue relevant studies offered by another institution, and desires an outstanding opportunity for cultural immersion and intensive language study is encouraged to apply.

Preparing to Study Abroad
Before applying for any study abroad program, students should consult with the studio instructor/advisor and an SMTD Academic Advisor to determine if an international education program fits educational and professional goals and will not interfere with recital plans or ensemble obligations. For those pursuing a dual degree, it is necessary to consult with both SMTD and the advisor in the other unit to ensure degree requirements will remain on track.

The studio instructor/advisor can help determine the best time to go abroad, as well as help identify coursework and potential performance teachers (for performance majors).

For those completing a study abroad program for academic credit, it is the student’s responsibility to obtain an evaluation/transcript documenting coursework completed, including grades received, from the host institution or program. Upon completion of study, follow-up with an SMTD Academic Advisor to ensure credits are added to the U-M academic record.

Students must have a passport valid through six months after the end of intended study abroad. For more information on obtaining or renewing a passport, see the State Department’s website.

U-M Resources for Study Abroad
M-Compass is the University of Michigan’s hub for study abroad programs. You may search and apply for programs through the website. Many programs are administered by the U-M Center for Global and Intercultural Study (CGIS).

Predeparture Checklist (Global Michigan)

Travel Abroad Health Insurance

Visa Requirements (U-M International Center)

Study Abroad Information from the U-M International Center

SMTD Programs

U-M Programs

Additional Resources for Study Abroad

Scholarships & Grants:

Pre-departure and Travel Information:

Study exchange programs offer SMTD students the opportunity to study at specific international partner schools while enrolling at U-M and paying U-M tuition.

International Study Exchange Programs are available at these partner institutions:

Finland: Sibelius Academy, Helsinki

France: Conservatoire de Paris, Paris

Germany: Hochschule für Musik, Karlsruhe

Germany: Hochschule für Musik, Freiburg

SMTD students participating in a Study Exchange pay full-time tuition to U-M in lieu of foreign tuition and may continue to receive most SMTD merit-based scholarships and UM need-based financial aid. Students will pay all living expenses incurred during the exchange – including travel to and from the host country, housing, food, books, medical insurance and care, passport and visa fees.

Complete the application for your desired program through MCompass. Please note that each program has a different application deadline:

Sibelius Academy: Deadline – March 31 for following academic year

Conservatoire de Paris: Deadline – March 15 for following academic year

Hochschule für Musik, Karlsruhe (coming soon)

Hochschule für Musik, Freiburg: Deadline – April 1 for fall study (October start); Deadline – December 1 for summer study (April start)

The following materials should be prepared before beginning the application:

  • Letter of motivation (outlining reasons to study abroad)
  • Resume/CV
  • Current transcript (may be downloaded from Wolverine Access student center)
  • Copy of passport photo
  • Two recommendation letters: one from SMTD studio instructor and one from language instructor (excluding Sibelius)
  • A URL for audition audio

Language Prerequisite
At least three semesters (four preferred) of university-level language study are expected at Conservatoire de Paris (French) and Hochschule für Musik (Germany) prior to the beginning of the exchange semester/year. At Sibelius Academy, Finish proficiency is not required, but language instruction is available. The English course offerings vary from year to year.

Health Insurance Requirements
You must have U-M Travel Abroad Health Insurance and show proof of health insurance before being allowed to attend classes. In addition, students at Conservatoire de Paris are required to pay the Conservatoire’s mandatory Comprehensive and Health Fees.

The host institution may assist in finding information about housing in dormitories, apartments or private homes, but actual booking of housing is the responsibility of the student.

Immigration Papers
The coordinator at your destination school will assist with necessary Visa paperwork. It is the student’s responsibility to provide any required documentation or pay required fees related to the Visa application. Students must apply in person at the nearest consulate/embassy location for the program host country. Please allow up to three months for Visa processing.

Non-US Citizens and International Degree Students
Any applicant who is not a U.S. citizen should contact the consulate of the program host country to determine if a student visa or other paperwork is necessary. This process, which in some cases can take several months to complete, should be started as soon as possible. Most international degree students are welcome to apply.  Those who grew up in, and are culturally familiar with the host country, however, are not eligible for admission to that program.