By Jill A. Greenberg, The University Record10/04/2017
Provost Martin A. Philbert has appointed an advisory committee in the search for a new dean of the School of Music, Theatre & Dance. The search process is underway.
Lester Monts, Arthur F. Thurnau Professor and professor of music (ethnomusicology) at SMTD, is chairing the committee charged with conducting a broad search and presenting an unranked slate of recommended candidates to the provost.
Additional members of the search committee include:
- Andrew Bishop, associate professor of music, chair of the Department of Jazz & Contemporary Improvisation, SMTD.
- Anthony Elliott, professor of music (cello), SMTD.
- Jessica Fogel, professor of dance and chair of the Department of Dance, SMTD.
- Julian Goods, Bachelor of Music student, choral music education, SMTD, Class of 2019.
- John Granzow, assistant professor of performing arts technology, SMTD.
- Michael Haithcock, director of university bands, Arthur F. Thurnau Professor and professor of music (conducting), SMTD.
- Freda Herseth, Arthur F. Thurnau Professor and professor of music (voice), SMTD.
- Laura Hoffman, assistant dean for admissions and enrollment management, SMTD.
- Annie Jeng, doctoral candidate (piano), graduate student instructor, SMTD.
- Ashley Lucas, associate professor of theatre and drama, SMTD; associate professor in the Residential College associate professor of English language and literature, and director of the Prison Creative Arts Project, LSA; associate professor of art and design, Penny W. Stamps School of Art & Design.
- Laurie McCauley, dean and William K. and Mary Anne Najjar Professor of Periodontics, School of Dentistry.
- Jeffrey Seller, University of Michigan alumnus; producer of "Hamilton: An American Musical," "In the Heights," "Avenue Q" and "Rent."
- Alicia Torres, chief financial officer and senior vice president, New Ventures, Altarum.
- Matthew VanBesien, president, University Musical Society.
- Aleksandra Vojcic, associate professor of music, SMTD.
In an email to faculty and staff at the school this past April, Interim Provost Paul N. Courant wrote that Dean Aaron Dworkin would step down in August 2017 for family reasons. Dworkin continues to serve as a faculty member in SMTD, as the Paul Boylan Collegiate Professor of Music and professor of music (strings).
In his email, Courant said Dworkin led the school with vision and energy. "With active engagement and support, he has strengthened the school's connections across campus and with performing arts communities across the country and around the world, positioning the school well for the future," Courant wrote.
To nominate prospective candidates or ask questions of the committee, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.