Designed for students seeking intensive and specialized training in performance. Applicants must possess a master’s degree in music or its equivalent as well as substantial solo and ensemble repertoire.
The Specialist in Music in Piano Performance requires a minimum of 30 credits. Coursework to include:
- Piano instruction
- Piano Chamber Music or Piano Accompanying
- Piano Forum
- Electives selected from other music or non-music courses, subject to the advisor’s approval
The presentation of two solo recitals.
For requirement details, please see the Degree Requirements and Term-by-Term Layout for Current Students.
How To Apply
- apply to U-M via the SMTD Graduate Application by December 1
- Submit an SMTD Artistic Profile by December 1 for a live audition
- Have all supplemental materials sent to SMTD
Click the button below to read more detailed information about the application requirements and procedures.Apply Now
Christopher Harding Chair, performance
Matthew Bengtson piano literature, fortepiano
Amy I. Cheng chamber music
Katherine Collier performance, collaborative piano
John Ellis pedagogy and performance
Arthur Greene performance
Robert Grijalva piano technology
Aya Higuchi Hagelthorn piano pedagogy
Martin Katz collaborative piano, voice literature
Lydia Qiu coordinator of accompanying
Logan Skelton performance