Designed for students who wish to prepare for a career on the concert stage, in church solo work, radio, television, and teaching. Those who wish to teach in elementary or secondary schools should pursue a curriculum within the Department of Music Education.
The Bachelor of Music in Voice Performance requires a minimum of 124 credits: coursework is 75% within SMTD and 25% within the liberal arts. SMTD coursework to include:
- Private voice lessons
- Music Theory
- Ensemble participation
- Opera Workshop
- Voice Literature
- Opera Production
Minimum Repertory Requirements for Graduation
- Six early Italian songs; four early English songs
- Ten songs or arias of Bach, Haydn, and Mozart; fourteen German songs (including representation of Schubert, Brahms, Schumann, and Wolf)
- Six French songs
- Ten American songs
- Ten miscellaneous songs or arias.
At least 25 of these must be completed to qualify for junior standing.
How To Apply
- Apply to U-M via the Common Application or Coalition Application (current U-M students should use the Cross-Campus Transfer Application) by December 1
- Submit an SMTD Artistic Profile by December 1 for a live audition
- Have all supplemental materials sent to the U-M Office of Undergraduate Admissions
Click “Apply Now” to read more detailed information about the application, pre-screening, and audition/interview requirements and procedures.Apply Now